In the last few years, I’ve been working with clients with heavy metal toxicity more than ever before. The soil, air and water are more contaminated all over the world, and it’s only getting worse. Even certified organic fruit and vegetables can contain high levels of heavy metals, because the soil (and water) does not need to be tested in order to obtain organic status (crazy but true). There are several other reasons why heavy metal levels are increasing in our food supply, but I would have to go down the rabbit hole a bit in order to explain and you may or may not be ready to hear that story. In short, the health of our soil will always determine and affect the health of our bodies.
All information in this article is for educational purposes only.
It is not for the diagnosis, treatment, prescription or cure of any disease or health condition.
Here’s what’s happening: many healthy eaters and detox/cleansing folks are getting sicker and feeling worse and can’t figure out why. Does that sound familiar to you? It seems to be especially true for that subset of people because once you eliminate the old mucoid plaque from your stomach, small intestine and colon you will absorb everything much more efficiently. That’s a good thing, unless what you are absorbing contains high levels of lead, arsenic, mercury, aluminum, cadmium or thallium..in which case you absorb much more of it than everyone else. Combine that with a diet higher in vegetables grown in toxic soil (unbeknownst to you of course). The person eating more fruit and vegetables will have more toxic exposure than the person not eating a lot of fruit and vegetables, even if they are all organic, that is unless you are growing them yourself at home (and not adding anything bad to the soil. More on this in a future post for those of you already growing your own, like me).
Check out the list of symptoms below and see if maybe you need to look at doing some heavy metal detox as part of your healing journey. It’s an easy thing to miss because many of the symptoms of heavy metal toxicity can mimic other chronic conditions, such as chronic fatigue, fibromyalgia, chronic anxiety, depression, insomnia, hormonal imbalance, adrenal fatigue, histamine intolerance, infertility, foggy brain, weight gain, itchy rashes, hives, urticaria, peripheral neuropathy, thyroid disease, Alzheimer’s disease, Parkinson’s disease, Multiple Sclerosis (MS), auto-immune disease, kidney disease and even certain types of cancer. And if you are eating such a good diet compared to everyone else, you would never think that your food, water or nutritional supplements could be the source of your illness.
Symptoms of Heavy Metal Toxicity
- Foggy Brain – arsenic, lead
- Fatigue (extreme and/or chronic) – arsenic, lead
- Hair loss – thallium
- Memory loss – lead, aluminum
- Chronically bloodshot eyes – arsenic
- Mee’s lines (deep ridges on fingernails and/or toenails) – arsenic
- Impaired concentration – thallium, lead, aluminum
- Impaired motor function, sensory function, and cognitive function – aluminum
- Increased nervousness – thallium, lead
- Irritability – thallium, lead
- Dizziness – lead
- Depression/mood changes, headache – lead
- Skin discoloration – darkening (hyper pigmentation) – arsenic
- Hyperkeratosis (most frequently on the palms and soles) – arsenic
- Throat irritation / difficultly swallowing / chronic sore throat – arsenic
- Impaired immune system – lead, arsenic
- Generalized muscle aches, weakness and body pains – lead
- Muscle cramps or muscle tenderness – arsenic
- Numbness, tingling and pain (sensory) – arsenic
- Spontaneous pain – arsenic
- Localized edema – arsenic
- Inflammation or pain in the gastrointestinal (GI) tract – thallium, arsenic
- Decreased libido – lead, arsenic
- Decreased sperm count – lead, arsenic
- Infertility – lead, arsenic
- Peripheral neuropathy (hot or burning feeling in hands and feet) – arsenic
- Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) – lead
- Enlarged liver (hepatomegaly) – arsenic
- Hemolytic anemia – lead
- Nausea or diarrhea – arsenic
- Low Vitamin D levels (inability to convert Vitamin D) – lead
- Severe osteoporosis and osteomalacia – cadmium
- Proteinuria (too much protein in the urine) – arsenic
- Cardiac Arrhythmias (abnormal heart rhythms) – arsenic
- Skin cancer – arsenic
- Impaired lung function / fibrosis – aluminum
- Lung cancer – cadmium, arsenic
- Kidney (renal) failure – arsenic, cadmium, lead
- Gout – lead
- Kidney cancer – arsenic
- Bladder cancer – arsenic
- Liver cancer – arsenic
- Prostate cancer – arsenic
-from the Agency for Toxic Substances & Diseases Registry
and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)
How do you know if you have heavy metal toxicity? Heavy metals are not so easy to test for since, upon exposure, your body will push them into 3 “safe” places as fast as possible – your bone, tissue and fat. That keeps the heavy metals from causing too much free radical damage in the essential organs. You can have a buildup of arsenic in the bone, for example, and the blood test can come up clean. In Iridology, I can determine very quickly if someone has a higher likelihood for heavy metal accumulation. Then, I will ask a series of questions about your symptoms vs. the highest potential sources of heavy metals. We then eliminate the suspect sources and re-assess your symptoms. If you are feeling better, then we continue on that track and add in herbal and natural forms of heavy metal detoxification. Getting on a low or no heavy metal diet is essential. You can get hair testing or a 24-hour urine test if you want, or you can put your time and money straight into chelation therapy or detoxification of heavy metals.
Three things need to be done in order to remove heavy metals from the body:
1) Eliminate the source (easier said than done, believe me…but possible) then
2) Detox the body from heavy metals in a safe and effective way (also easier said than done but possible) and
3) Support/strengthen the essential organs and immune system with a clean heavy metal-free diet and high anti-oxidants to protect organs from any degeneration
What is the best type of heavy metal detox? This is something that needs to be more individualized, based on the strength and weakness of all the other organs, including the skin, lungs, liver, colon and kidneys. Bio-individuality is the best approach to achieve maximum results. Taking additional zinc, selenium and Vitamin C is important for anyone with high heavy metals. Remember though, the first step is to eliminate the source. If you don’t do that, there is no amount of heavy metal detox that will help.
For more on how to achieve your health goals and actually start feeling great, book a private health consult with me via Skype.
How to Book Your Health & Nutritional Coaching Session:
1. Take photos of your eyes with a smart phone or digital camera.
2. Email the photos to me for approval for Iridology Analysis.
3. We schedule a time to meet via phone or Skype!
More on Detox:
- Recipe for a Fresh Homemade Tomato Mexican Salsa
- Recipe: Raw Food Healing ‘Jamu’ or ‘Love’ Juice from Indonesia
- How to make a Castor Oil Pack for Healing, Pain Relief or Detox
- Earliest Raw Food and Fasting Book: The Ancient Essene Gospel of the Peace
- Feature Elimination Organ: Kidneys
More on Skin Cleansing:
- Feature Detoxification Organ: The Skin
- Food Containing Ribonucleotides – The Ribo Rash from Food Additives 635, 627 and 631
- What is ringworm, how you get it and how to treat it naturally
- Benefits of Raw Apple Cider Vinegar
- Is it safe to detox while pregnant or breastfeeding?
More on Liver Cleansing:
- Feature Detoxification Organ: The Liver
- What’s the best detox retreat for raw food, yoga, juice & meditation in Thailand?
- Gallstone Flush & Liver Detox – Recipe & Cleanse Info
- Gluten-Free, Raw Food and Detox at Pachamama, Costa Rica
- How to make a Castor Oil Pack for Healing, Pain Relief or Detox
Latest posts by Jennifer Betesh (see all)
- What is an elimination diet? - 28 March, 2019
- Intermittent fasting – What’s the best way? - 15 March, 2019
- How do you know when it’s time to STOP fasting - 28 February, 2019
- When is the BEST time (and WORST time) to START a detox - 20 February, 2019