I receive countless emails asking me this question. Choosing a detox holiday can be overwhelming when you start to see how many resorts there are. In Koh Samui, Thailand alone there are more than a dozen places to choose from. So what is the best retreat for fasting, wellness, raw foods, de-stressing, weight loss and healing?
Asking me that is like asking me what house you should buy. How can I answer that question based on only knowing that you want a house? If I don’t know what you are looking for – how many rooms, what your budget is, etc., there is simply no possible way I can help you.
When you think about your destination for cleansing, first decide on your budget. Know how much you have to spend on the program itself and your room accommodation, and then decide if you have any extra cash for yoga classes, massages and private healing sessions. Figure out how much time you have for your program – 3 days, 5 days, 7 days, 14 days, 21 days or more….that will also help to narrow your search.
It’s then very important to sit with yourself and decide what you expect to achieve from doing a detox retreat – do you want to lose weight, rest, relax, cure yourself from disease or illness, learn more about nutrition or how to manage stress, take cooking classes, eat healthy food, learn better habits for going home, have access to yoga or fitness gyms, and also work on your spiritual and emotional healing as well? Maybe the answer is Yes! to all of the above! Haha…well, please go back and remember what your budget is too. A lot of times people want it all, but they don’t want to invest the money to do it.
Be realistic with your expectations if you choose a low-budget resort. You can still benefit from any detox you do, so whatever you choose, know that it’s the right one for you at this point in your journey. If you are not comfortable with juice fasting, choose a program with a raw food menu or gently cooked foods. That can still be a great gentle detox for people, especially if they are older, sick or living very high-stress lives.
Are you hoping to ‘reboot’ and quit smoking, drinking alcohol, doing recreational drugs or eating junk food? Do you have an existing eating disorder or have you battled with anorexia/bulimia in the past? Will you need extra emotional support and additional therapies, such as hypnotherapy, NLP or EFT to help you with your addiction? Being honest with yourself will only benefit you in the long run. Let the retreat center know what you need and ask if they offer support. Buy some inspiring books full of success stories and read them during your cleanse.
Some detox programs offer colon hydrotherapy as part of their package and some don’t. The colon cleansing can be called colemas, colonics or enemas – they are basically different versions of the same thing, which is cleaning the guts of that old toxic filth that you used to eat in your former unhealthy days. Personally, I would highly recommend choosing a program with this option included. When you combine colon cleansing and detoxing, you can release more toxins in a shorter period of time. It’s that simple.
Raw food, cooked food or no food?
Herbal supplements or no? Just fresh juice or coconuts or both? Candida program, parasite cleanse, heavy metal detox, gallstone liver flush?? Just remember this: you have to start somewhere, and any detox is better than none. Don’t stress out too much over the details….just pick something within your budget that has most of what you want and preferably some colon cleansing too. Check out Trip Advisor for the latest reviews of any detox resort that you choose. Sometimes that’s the best way. Go with how you feel and embrace the fact that you are making time for a healthy holiday – to improve your health, body, mind and soul. It’s the best gift you can possible give yourself. Whatever you choose, don’t forget to book your Iridology Session with me. I can help you personalize your detox and make a long-term plan for positive change when you return home. I hope to see you soon!
Detox resorts in Koh Samui, Thailand:
- The Spa Samui – 2 locations, Lamai Beach and Village
- Absolute Sanctuary Resort – Choeng Mon (near the airport)
- Dharma Healing Center – near Nathon
- Kamalaya Wellness Sanctuary – Na-Muang (near the Butterfly Garden)
- Health Oasis – Mae Nam
- Samui Detox – Mae Nam
- New Body and Mind – near Lipa Noi
- Natural High Retreats – Thong Krut
Detox resorts in Phuket, Thailand:
- Atsumi Retreat Healing – near Rawai Beach
- Atmanjai Detox Yoga Wellness– near Rawai Beach
- Phuket Cleanse – Naiharn Beach
More on Traveling Raw:
- Fasting Retreat, Organic Raw Food & Total Relaxation at Farm of Life in Costa Rica
- Restaurant Cards for Celiac, Gluten-Free & MSG-Free
- Panama as a health destination? Warning about pesticides in fruits and vegetables
- Reconnect with Nature in Guatemala with Fresh Juice, Raw Food, Mayan Ruins & Volcanoes
- Rasayana Raw Food Vegan Restaurant in Bangkok, Thailand – Yum!
Latest posts by Jennifer Thompson (see all)
- How to Ask the Right Questions at a Farmers Market - 25 March, 2018
- Protein Powders containing Mercury, Lead, Arsenic and Cadmium: WARNING! - 15 March, 2018
- DIY Indoor Grow Light Stands for under $100 - 12 March, 2018
- Gut-Brain Axis: Probiotics are the Missing Link to Depression - 18 January, 2018