For those of you looking to increase healthy proteins in your diet, this is the superfood for you. Hemp seeds are sold either whole or in powder form. They are perfect to add to your morning Green Breakfast Smoothie or you after work-out Fruit Smoothie Blend. You can also sprinkle them on salads or fresh fruit.
Just to be clear, there is no THC (or only very small trace levels, less than 1%) in hemp seed, and that’s the distinct difference between the hemp and marijuana seed, although they both come from the cannabis spices of plant. Hemp was used traditionally for years to make rope and natural fabric because it is known to be an excellent and strong plant fiber. It is perfectly legal to sell hemp clothes, t-shirts, bags and of course hemp seed and hemp protein powder (ground hemp seeds). Even in Dubai, I have seen hemp powder for sale at an organic health food shop.
Hemp seeds are naturally a fantastic protein source. They contain all of the essential amino acids, are highly digestible, and are one of the highest sources of complete protein of all plant-based foods. Hemp also has a very well-balanced ratio of essential fatty acids (EFAs) – Omega 3, 6, and 9 – which are excellent for cardiovascular health and promote a strong immune system (among many other benefits). A great source of dietary fiber, magnesium, iron, zinc, and potassium, hemp is a true superseed.
This remarkable superfood has more than 3.5 grams of protein per tablespoon in powder form. Now that’s some raw food vegan power! You can combine your raw food knowledge by adding ground hemp protein to your Green Smoothie for even more nutrition!
Green Smoothie Recipe with ground hemp protein
Fountain of Youth Recipe
- 1 handful Swiss Chard
- 1 hand dandelion leaves
- 7-8 fresh mint leaves
- 1 mango
- 1 cup red grapes
- ½ cup raspberries
- 2 Tbsp. hemp protein
- 1 Tbsp. coconut oil
- 1 cup water
Mix all ingredients in a blender. Add more water to desired consistency. Blend again, and enjoy!
Products from Amazon.com
Price: Check on Amazon
More on Superfoods:
- Gluten-Free, Raw Food and Detox at Pachamama, Costa Rica
- Benefits of Flax Seed, How to Grind/Store and How Much to Take Daily
- Featured Superfood: Hemp Seed
- Win a FREE Green Smoothie Starter Kit Superfood Bundle!
- Featured Superfood – Green Powder Blend Vitamineral Greens
Latest posts by Jennifer Thompson (see all)
- Gut-Brain Axis: Probiotics are the Missing Link to Depression - 18 January, 2018
- Why I worked on an organic cattle farm - 10 January, 2018
- Does the Squatty Potty Really work? - 19 December, 2017
- Feng Shui Your Home for Better Sleep and Good Relationships - 11 December, 2017