With a wonderful variety of fresh tropical fruits and amazing veggies and greens, Hawaii is a fantastic holiday destination for raw food enthusiasts. The island of Maui is a popular spot for tourists and has a well-established raw food community as well.
There are 3 main restaurants serving raw food dishes in Maui. Perhaps the most established restaurant serving raw food in Maui is called Joy’s in Kihei. It is a small place with a nice friendly atmosphere and offers both eat-in and take-away options. Joy is a wonderfully warm and kind woman and is genuinely interested in serving healthy, delicious foods. Some of her dishes include a live wrap with ginger sesame dressing, a nut burger in collard greens, peppermint cacao truffles, live coconut chocolate ice cream, and green smoothies made to order. Joy’s is open Monday to Saturday, 8:30am – 3:30pm.
Another store serving raw foods is Mana Foods in Paia, on the road to Hana. Mana is a natural foods store also selling health foods, produce and fresh juices, and has a case of fresh raw foods for take-away every day. Jason, their raw food chef, is known best for his eggless egg salad, carrot ginger soup and sesame miso nori rolls. Other Mana favorites include their key lime pie, strawberry cheesecake and hazel fudge brownies. Mana Foods is open 7 days from 8:30am – 8:30pm. There is no eat-in service available.
Finally there is Alive and Well in Kahului which serves pre-prepared raw foods in their take-away case. Their options include a thin slice pizza, raw cole slaw and chocolate cherry torta.
Fresh farmer’s markets are a great source of local fruits and vegetables and are usually open a few days per week at various locations around the island. There are also a few locations of Jamba Juice around Maui, a similar chain to Boost Juice serving fresh juice and wheatgrass shots. A Whole Foods supermarket is due to open in Kahului in January 2010 which will be a great option for salads, juices and raw food take-aways.
Plan to have rawesome time in Maui!
This article was published in Living Raw magazine in Australia.
More on Juicing and Smoothies:
- How to Deal with Social Pressures on a Raw Food Diet
- Recipe: Raw Food Healing ‘Jamu’ or ‘Love’ Juice from Indonesia
- Green Smoothie Power and Tabouleh Raw Food Salad Recipe
- How to Make Green Smoothies: Recipe with Superfoods
- Green Smoothie Classes in Bangkok and Singapore
Latest posts by Jennifer Thompson (see all)
- How to Ask the Right Questions at a Farmers Market - 25 March, 2018
- Protein Powders containing Mercury, Lead, Arsenic and Cadmium: WARNING! - 15 March, 2018
- DIY Indoor Grow Light Stands for under $100 - 12 March, 2018
- Gut-Brain Axis: Probiotics are the Missing Link to Depression - 18 January, 2018