I consider myself very lucky to have a few raw food vegan friends (ok, 2)…but it really helps when you try this new path and way of living to try to find others around you doing it too, mainly just as an avenue to share thoughts or ideas and also to help inspire and motivate.
Often I find if I am in a ‘normal’ group of people, they immediately begin to defend and preach about why they think eating meat is essential or why eating cooked foods is necessary, and I find it, well to be honest, exhausting sometimes. I am never judging others for what they eat or don’t eat, and in that respect I find it quite harsh when I feel people judging me. What’s da dilly guys?? Can’t you just accept me for who I am where I am on my life’s journey? I accept you unconditionally, regardless… so why all the fuss???
What a wonderful world it would be if we all had more love and compassion for each other. Friendship should be about support and acceptance, yes?
One time last year while I was on a 100% raw food diet, I went out with friends for a meal. I mainly went out to appease my one friend – her other 2 friends I didn’t even know…anyway my friend at the time knew I was eating raw foods, but mentioned nothing of it at the meal and I proceeded to order a salad without a hitch, also not mentioning any special dietary requirements myself. All safe and cruisy on the down-low. My friend then ordered a Bailey’s shake made with coconut and banana…when she tried it she said ‘Jennifer you must try this it’s amazing…’ so I said ok, and had a sip. At that VERY moment, her friend immediately commented a ‘Oh, so much for the raw food diet!’ I said’ ‘Excuse me? There isn’t any milk in the shake…’ And she said’ ‘Um, Bailey’s, DAIRY, Hello???’ I mean, can you imagine???? In front of a group of people having this stranger try to humiliate me? If I had any ego whatsoever about the diet, maybe, maybe, I could see that response, but never did I ever mention it to anyone….I was horrified to know that I was being watched like a hawk when I was simply trying to experiment with a healthier way of living.
The whole ‘healthier than thou’ tactic to me is quite elitist, condescending, and ultimately self-defeating.
These are some of the obstacles you may face when transitioning to a better diet and lifestyle.
And this is why I mention how wonderful it can be when you meet others who are already on your same journey and who help to uplift, love, support and inspire you – it is very important to find a few people like that on your journey! When you find them, stick together!!
True friends will love and support you no matter what you eat or don’t eat, but they are rare gems in this world today, and when you find them, keep them!
Anyway, my 2 raw food friends had recommended some books for me to read and I am so grateful that I asked because I am now reading them and have learned so much new information already!
Based on the one, I am going to try more green vegetable smoothies and see if I can feel a difference…up to this point I was having my ‘standard’ smoothie but with more fruit mainly and just spirulina as a green…now I see that I must add the whole green veggie as well – spinach, kale, bok choy, etc….today I made my first one and it was great!
Green Smoothie Recipe:
- Fresh Kale
- Fresh pineapple, banana, & papaya
- Ground Flax Seed
More on Detox and pH Health:
- Why the “Detox Myth” is a Myth!
- Raw Spirit Festival Sedona, Arizona – Raw Food Lectures, Speakers & Inspiration!
- Recipe for a Fresh Homemade Tomato Mexican Salsa
- Gain Control of Overeating
- Reconnect with Nature in Guatemala with Fresh Juice, Raw Food, Mayan Ruins & Volcanoes
More on Raw Food:
- Loni Jane Anthony pregnant and eating 10 bananas a day: She says “80:10:10 diet saved my life”
- Raw Food Recipe for Thai Green Papaya Salad or ‘Som Tam’ Salad – Video
- Coconut Philosophy – It’s What’s Inside that Counts!
- Easy Recipe: Make organic pickles at home!
- Win a FREE Green Smoothie Starter Kit Superfood Bundle!
More on Organic Food:
- Recipe: Raw Tahini, Garlic and Lemon Salad Dressing or Veggie Dip…and it’s Amazing!
- Stop Premature Aging: Take this Anti-Aging Quiz and Mirror Test Now!
- Raw Zucchini Rolls with Walnut Pesto and Cashew Cheese: Recipe
- Featured Superfood: Acai Powder
- Why I left Koh Samui, Thailand and Why I moved to Tel Aviv, Israel
Latest posts by Jennifer Thompson (see all)
- Gut-Brain Axis: Probiotics are the Missing Link to Depression - 18 January, 2018
- Why I worked on an organic cattle farm - 10 January, 2018
- Does the Squatty Potty Really work? - 19 December, 2017
- Feng Shui Your Home for Better Sleep and Good Relationships - 11 December, 2017