There is hope. You can find some healthy restaurants and vegan, organic foods in Korea. Hopefully this guide will help get you started.
Loving Hut Mushroom Salad
For a healthy vegan restaurant, be sure to check out the Loving Hut. They have a nice green salad which is all raw, and 2 mushroom salads which are not raw but I do recommend that you give them a try. According to their mission statement, they put loving intention into their food. I’m going to honest and say that I don’t think they are MSG-free, so watch out for those vegan sausages, soy proteins and other flavored faux meats. The Loving Hut also sells some vegan cakes, vegan bread, vegan ice cream and some organic body products too. There are locations throughout South Korea and many in the Seoul area.
The Loving Hut
Locations throughout Seoul (check website)
Cafe des Verts, Seoul
If you are looking for organic coffee, there are a few options. One is Cafe des Verts in Gangnam-gu. They have organic coffee to enjoy in the cafe but also sell it to take home. 18,000 KRW will get you 200 grams of organic coffee from either Colombia, Ethiopia or Brazil.
On their online shop, they have the organic coffee and also many organic teas for sale including Organic Blueberry Rooibos Tea. Remember, if you are doing coffee enemas, you absolutely should be using organic coffee!
Cafe des Verts
2F Donghoon Tower, Gangnam-gu (check website for other locations)
Another place for organic coffee in Seoul is the Cafe Il Cipriana in the Jongno-gu area. This is a quiet little cafe tucked just off the main road, and they sell all organic coffee, smoothies, salads and panini sandwiches.
Cafe Il Capriani
10-6 Gahoe-dong, Jongno-gu
+82 (0) 2 762 5825
Organic Veggie Store
Between the Angsuk Station Exit 2 and Cipriana, I found another Organic Store selling fresh produce and some products. The produce looked very good and I would definitely recommend that, but the packaged items they sell were a bit of a mix, and many of them are things which I would not ‘approve’ as healthy. Just an example to not trust all items in a shop because the sign outside says ‘organic.’ Look for hidden sugars and MSG for sure. They did have Olive Leaf Extract though which I highly recommend as a natural anti-biotic and immune booster.
If you are looking for supplements, try the Noble Shop. They have flax oil capsules, vegan B12 tablets and Evening Primrose Oil amongst other things. They also carry some good body products, including the ‘Kiss my Face’ line, Lamas Beauty and an entire range of make-up products that were not tested on animals. On their website, I even found a Garden of Life at-home Detox Kit called ‘Raw Cleanse’ for 70,000 KRW!
The Noble Shop in Korea
Hansalim store in Seoul
Another good resource for organic body and home products and also organic fruit and veggies is the Hansalim Store. They probably have the best prices of all of the places I visited, so I highly recommend them. The only catch is that you have to be a member to buy there, and I think you need to be a permanent resident of Korea. So try to find someone who can sign up for you – it will be well worth it. They do home delivery for members and you can also order from their website.
Many locations throughout South Korea (check website)
Don’t forget that in normal supermarkets throughout Seoul you can buy buckwheat noodles for just 5,000 KRW. This is a great alternative to wheat for anyone cooking at home.
Finally, a new service has just recently been launched in Seoul and that is fresh organic fruits and vegetables home delivery service. This I highly recommend – I mean, how could they make it any easier?! The project is called Veggie Hill, and they work with local farmers outside of Seoul to get the best quality fruit and veggies. You can order by email, phone or online.
010 2781 0772
For information on yoga classes, healthy events and to buy Himalayan Salt Crystal Lamps, check out the Mind, Body Seoul Studio in Itaewon.
- China: Raw Food, Detox & Healthy Living in Hong Kong
- Costa Rica: 14-21 Day Travel Itinerary for Organic Vegan Raw Food, Hot Springs, Beach & Detox
- Costa Rica: Fasting Retreat, Organic Raw Food & Total Relaxation at Farm of Life
- Costa Rica: Gluten-Free, Raw Food and Detox at Pachamama
- Ecuador: Vilcabamba: The Raw Food Valley of Longevity… or Just Hype?
- Guatemala: Reconnect with Nature and Fresh Juice, Raw Food, Mayan Ruins & Volcanoes
- Indonesia: Raw Food & Vegetarian Restaurants in Bali
- International Directory of Detox, Juice Fast, Healing Centers and Retreats
- Israel: Green Juice Fast with Gabriel Cousens at Tree of Life
- Israel: Raw Food, Detox & Organic in Tel Aviv
- Japan: Organic Raw Food, Vegan & Detox in Tokyo
- Korea: Raw Food, Vegan and Organic Options in Seoul
- Malaysia: Raw Food, Detox & Healthy Living in Kuala Lumpur
- Panama: A health destination? Warning about pesticides in fruits and vegetables
- Restaurant Cards for Celiac, Gluten-Free & MSG-Free
- Thailand: Rasayana Raw Food Vegan Restaurant in Bangkok
- Thailand: What’s the best detox retreat for raw food, yoga, juice & meditation in Thailand?
- Top 5 Tips on How to Recover from Jet Lag & Travel
- UAE: Organic Vegetarian Food & Raw Restaurant in Dubai
- USA: Raw Food Classes and Restaurants in Los Angeles, California
- USA: Raw Food Restaurants and Healthy Options in Maui, Hawaii
- USA: Raw Spirit Festival Sedona, Arizona – Raw Food Inspiration!