One of the things that I try to teach in my Raw Food Cooking Class is texture. When you learn to create new textures with raw foods, you can get away from the rabbit-like crunchy salads. Long-term, having different textures to play with will keep your food more interesting and you are much more likely to stay with the raw food diet.The main tool that I use to create the texture of raw pasta is the ‘Som Tam’ or Green Papaya slicer.
This little tool is a must-have for any raw food kitchen.
You can use the slicer to make fast and easy strips for making Traditional Thai ‘Som Tam’ or Green Papaya Salad, but you can also use it to slice carrot, beetroot, cucumber, daikon or zucchini for your raw pasta or just a nice shredded-type of salad.
It takes no time at all to use. I travel with mine all over the world, and no matter where I am, I can make a nice carrot, beetroot, zucchini salad in minutes. In the video above, I show how to use the Som Tam Slicer to make Green Papaya Salad with my friend Ms. Ta from Thai Organic Life.
The blade is a zig-zag design made of stainless steel. It is made in Thailand, where it is commonly used for making the long strips of green papaya for the Thai ‘Som Tam’ salad. No cleaning of a spirulizer, just fast and easy raw pasta that tastes great! I highly recommend this little gem!
More on Detox and pH Health:
- Featured Superfood: Hemp Seed
- Raw Food, Detox & Organic in Tel Aviv, Israel
- Raw Detox Salad Recipe
- Total Reset Detox: A Women Only Retreat at the Dead Sea in Israel
- Recipe for a Fresh Homemade Tomato Mexican Salsa
Latest posts by Jennifer Thompson (see all)
- Knowing Botanical Food Families for Cross-Reactivity Allergies - 23 August, 2017
- The BEST natural remedy for your pet’s health! - 9 August, 2017
- What’s in your drinking water? Enter your zip code and find out! - 2 August, 2017