Recipe: Fast & Easy Raw Food Salad…a delicious meal in minutes!
What does a raw foodie eat as a salad for lunch? Check out this easy-to-make option using all fresh, natural, healing foods. It’s a simple salad made from parsley, carrot, zucchini, cucumber and sprouts but it’s the texture, the dressing and combination of flavors that make it taste great.
Raw Food Recipe: Modern Israeli Salad
This salad is a modified version of the classic “Israel Salad” or “Arabic Salad” which is traditionally made using finely chopped tomato, cucumber and parsley with a tahini and lemon dressing. In this version, I’ve added more fiber with ground flax seed, a nice texture with shredded zucchini and carrots, additional enzymes from the sunflowers sprouts and some liver cleansing power with the cayenne pepper. You could also add a bit more protein with 2-3 Tbsp. raw organic sunflower seeds.
In total, this salad should take less than 10 minutes to prepare. It’s well worth it to take extra minute or two to shred your carrots and zucchini with a grater because it changes the texture completely and makes the salad much more enjoyable to eat.
Modern Israeli Salad Ingredients & Recipe (2 servings)
In a bowl, combine:
- – 1 Carrot, peeled and grated
- – 1 Medium to large zucchini, peeled and grated
- – 2 Medium cucumbers, peeled and chopped
- – 1 Handful of sunflower sprouts, chopped
- – 2 handfuls of fresh parsley, chopped
- – 2 Tbsp. ground flax seed
- – Dash of cayenne pepper, to taste
- – Dash of Himalayan Salt, to taste
Mix ingredients well. For the dressing, add:
- – Juice of 1 lemon
- – 2-4 Tbsp. organic tahini (sesame seed paste)
You can grind the flax seed in advance and have it stored in the fridge, ready to add to any salad for added fiber and omega proteins. A high-fiber diet helps to reduce constipation and promotes better digestive health and even helps to balance blood sugar levels. Raw tahini can be made at home if you can’t find it at your local health food store. The sesame seeds in tahini are a great vegan source of calcium. With all of these natural, whole and pure healing foods as ingredients, you are creating a real detox meal!
This is a salad that I usually have for lunch, due to the fat content in the tahini. I like to eat my “heaviest” meal in the middle of the day and save a lighter, lower-in-fat meal option for dinner.
As you can see, there is no need for a blender, juicer, food processor or dehydrator in this recipe. All you need is a cutting board, vegetable peeler, knife, and grater.
Yes, raw food recipes can be simple and not require a lot of expensive appliances!
Add chopped tomato to this recipe to make it a more classic Middle Eastern salad, but this version is just to show you other possibilities. There are many variations! Try adding some fresh pomegranate or a small amount (8-10 leaves) of finely chopped fresh mint.
This recipe is all raw, vegan, vegetarian and gluten-free!
More on Raw Food:
- Raw Food Recipe for Raw Energy Balls – Fast & Easy!
- Recipe: How to Make Raw Tahini Dressing or Dip
- How to Eat Raw Food in Winter – Sprouting, Raw Hummus & Recipes
- Panama as a health destination? Warning about pesticides in fruits and vegetables
- More Video Interviews from the Fred Bisci Raw Food Seminar in Perth, Australia