Choosing the right foods after a good workout is important to help your muscles recover and keep your energy levels high for the rest of the day. Think alkaline, high fiber, antioxidants and hydration when you want to power-up after a good sweat. This Hearty Berry Smoothie gives you all of that plus a great taste, and even better, it takes less than 5 minutes to make.
Hearty Berry Post-Workout Smoothie Recipe
- 1 ripe banana, peeled
- 1 red apple
- 1/2 cup fresh blueberries
- 1/2 cup fresh raspberries
- 1 Tbsp. tahini (sesame seed paste)
- 4-6 walnut halves
- 1 Tbsp. aloe vera juice
- 2 Tbsp. ground flaxseed
- 1 1/2 cups water
Place all ingredients in a blender. Blend for 1 minute. Pour, and drink. Cheers to good health!
Need to buy the basic ingredients?
Aloe, flax, walnuts, and tahini: You can buy online here with fast shipping worldwide!
How it Works
During exercise, your body builds up acids from the muscle “burn” and cardio effects. After exercise, you need to release those built-up acids and create a more alkaline environment where muscles can safely recover and repair. More antioxidants help to break up the “internal rust.” The result: you’ll feel less stiff, more energized and have even more power for the next workout. That sounds like a good plan to me!
What you get
- Berries give you a high boost of antioxidants. Blueberries are truly little blue bundles of health, packed with manganese, vitamin K, and antioxidants. Raspberries offer an ample supply of manganese, a mineral that helps to decrease premenstrual syndrome symptoms, improve bone health, and decrease pain associated with arthritis.
- Bananas are great for sports endurance and recovery thanks to the combination of natural sugars, fiber, and potassium. Having a smoothie made with banana after your workout can give you more energy and improve your fitness performance.
- Apples are packed with vitamins A and C, antioxidants, and potassium. High levels of boron in apples stimulate brain activity and increase mental alertness, making apples a real brain food. Boron also keeps your bones healthy and helps prevent osteoporosis by preserving calcium in the body.
- Flaxseed is a great source of dietary fiber and helps your body intake the natural fruit sugars slowly which means you get more energy for longer and no “sugar crash” later. You can buy flax seed already ground or in whole form and grind at home.
- Walnuts are a fantastic source of Omega 3, that’s a powerful antioxidant good for circulation and blood. Omega 3 is also a potent anti-inflammatory agent, helping to repair and heal faster from injuries.
- Tahini (sesame) is high in zinc, the best mineral for your glandular system.
- Aloe vera is amazing for skin and digestion.
- Water is the best form of hydration there is!
What blender should you use? Good question! Check out my article on Battle of the Blenders: Which one is Best.
Moving overseas? Find out if it’s ok to use a 110V blender in a 220V country.
Like this recipe? Discover more awesome workout and recovery smoothies in my NEW book: Green Smoothies for Dummies. It has more than 90 recipes and an excellent 3-day Green Smoothie Detox Plan too! Available for sale on amazon, iTunes and Barnes and Noble.
More on Green Smoothies:
- Hollywood Celebrities and Supermodels are Drinking Green Smoothies!
- Detox Juice Recipe
- How to Pre-Cleanse for Detox or Juice Fast
- Beginner’s Guide to Green Smoothies
- 10 Detox Tips
More on Prevention: